Additional Resources

Frequently Asked Questions, Links and Phone Numbers to call when you need help, Instructions for making referrals to InterCommunity programs, and a Glossary of recovery related terms

Finding Help

We understand how hard it is to ask for help. We also know that once you know you need help, it can be confusing to find the type of help you need. Below is a list of some of the most commonly used services that we offer.

If you don’t see what you need in this list, or you still aren’t sure what you need, you can call (860) 569-5900. We are here to help.

If you are a service provider looking to make a referral to an InterCommunity program, CLICK HERE.


DETOXIFICATION – (860) 569-5900

If you have been using alcohol or opiates (heroin, oxycodone or similar drugs), and have been feeling physically sick because of using, then Detoxification should be, your should be your first step toward Recovery. Detoxification will help you safely get through the often painful effects of withdrawal (DTs, or other physical symptoms) over over the course of a 3 to 5 day stay in our facility.

If you think you need Detoxification, call our Detoxification Center at (860) 569-5900. If you would like more detailed information about the Detoxification Center, CLICK HERE.



If you have been using drugs or alcohol and using has affected your relationships with family or friends, or if you have had problem at work (up to and including losing your job), or if you have been in legal trouble because of using, then Intensive Residential Treatment may be for you.

Call 860-569-5900 if you think Intensive Residential Treatment meets your needs to set up an appointment for an assessment.

If you would like more detailed information about the Intensive Residential Treatment Program, CLICK HERE.



If you need treatment for a drug or alcohol problem but need to maintain work and famiy connections, then Outpatient Counseling may work for you. Outpatient Counseling is offered in both English and Spanish and at two levels of intensity based on what is appropriate for your situation.

Call 860-569-5900 if you think Outpatient Treatment meets your needs to set up an appointment for an assessment.

If you would like more detailed information about the Outpatient Counseling Center, CLICK HERE.


  • Referrals

    Information for Service Providers seeking to refer clients to InterCommunity

    More Information
    Intensive and Intermediate Residential Programs

    Clients referred to The Intensive and Intermediate Residential Program should meet the following criteria for admission:

    • The client must be 18 years old or older and must be a resident of the Capitol/North Central Region, (DMHAS Region IV).
    • The client must meet the criteria for substance abuse or dependence as outlined by the DSM – IV and The Connecticut Client Placement Criteria (CCPC).
    • CCPC Substance Abuse Level III.7 is the criteria for Intensive Residential Treatment and Level III.5 for the Intermediate Program treatment.

    Prior to the screening interview the referral source will provide the following information regarding the client:

    • A recently completed Biopsychosocial Assessment
    • A recently completed medical examination by a physician which includes assurance that the client is free of contagious diseases and/or unresolved medical issues needing follow-up care.
    • Proof of a PPD test conducted within the last 6 months.
    • Copy of a written consent authorizing ICRC to have contact with referral source.

    The admission package will be reviewed and a decision to admit or reject the applicant will be made within 24 hours following the screening interview. Intake coordinator will make contact with referral source/applicant to notify of the decision.

    Referrals are accepted 7 days a week, and screening staff are available during the first and second shift

    Recovery House Programs

    Recovery House  Housing Support

    Admission Criteria

    Recovery House programs are available to men and women over the age of 18 (Note:  Housing Support program is available only to men) who:

    • Have an Axis 1 substance dependence diagnosis
    • Must be over the age of 18
    • Have or who are eligible to have insurance
    • Must be ambulatory enough to participate in the daily living schedule, to walk to meetings and to outpatient treatment.
    • Must be willing to remain clean and complete urine screens and breathalyzers.
    • Must have a physical within the last 30 days.
    • Must have a current PPD on file.
    • Must have a solid discharge plan.
    • No acute psychiatric problems
    • Biopsychosocial or intake screening regarding the client past history of substance abuse/mental health.

    Priority is given to:

    • “High Utilizers”
    • To residents of Region 4

    Rule Outs

    • Client may not be actively suicidal or homicidal. If recent past, client must obtain medical clearance or progress notes must be sent addressing the client current mental health status, this also includes clients with auditory and visual hallucinations.
    • No acute psychiatric disorders.
    • All paperwork has to be from the referring agency, 3rd party information will not be accepted as part of the referral package.
    • Please fax all referrals to 860-714-8971 with a contact person and a phone number in case there are any questions regarding the referral.
    • Please give a follow up phone call with in a day or so to see if the client was accepted to the Recovery House.
    Coventry House

    Coventry House is a long term (4-6 months) residential substance abuse treatment facility which provides high quality substance abuse services for pregnant and parenting women. Coventry House provides gender responsive, trauma informed care to all clients.  The capacity of Coventry House is for 10 women and 12 children. Mother is allowed to bring up to two children (4 years old and younger) with her to the program.

    Mother must be 18 years or older to be engaged in treatment in Coventry House.

    There is no ethnicity requirement. Coventry House serves culturally and ethnically diverse population. Coventry House accepts clients receiving Methadone or Suboxone treatment.

    Clients who do not meet criteria for Coventry House program are referred to services more appropriate for them.

    Clayton House

      Clayton House Application

    It is the policy of The Clayton House program to admit all residents without regard to race, color, religious creed, age, marital status, national origin, sex, sexual preference, physical disability (the facility is not at this time handicap accessible) including, but not limited to, blindness or ability to pay. Residents must be 18 years of age or older and able to provide their own self-care.

    Specifically, clients who apply for admission to Clayton House must complete the Clayton House Application (see the link above) and must also meet the following criteria:

    • Must have a history of addiction to alcohol or other drugs.
    • Must be eighteen years of age or over and able to provide their own self-care.
    • Must be medically and psychiatrically capable of participating in all aspects of the program and to obtain and hold a minimum of 35 hours of employment per week.
    • Must be willing to participate in all aspects of the program, obey program rules and contribute positively to the group living environment.
    • Must have a PPD test conducted within the last 120 days and be free of communicable diseases
    • Must have a minimum of 30 days of clean time immediately prior to admission
    • Must have a physical within 30 days of admission or 5 on days post admission.

    In addition clients must also:

    • Acknowledge treatment issues and willingness to work on them while at the house.
    • Be willing to attend 12-Step and/or other self-help meetings.
    • Be Prepared to participate in group and individual counseling.


    If the applicant is found to be acceptable and a bed does not currently exist, the applicant will be placed on a waiting list. Persons on the waiting list may be directed to services to meet their needs during the waiting period. Waitlisted clients will also be informed that it is their responsibility to call every Monday to verify their status and/or to report any change in phone and address. Failure to call may result in removal from the waiting list. Wait listed clients who call after Monday and have been dropped from the list may be replaced to the bottom of it at the Director’s discretion.

    Applicants who are denied admission may be given either verbal or written rationale for ineligibility.

  • Links

    Links to programs and services of interest to those in recovery, along with links to InterCommunity partner agencies.

    More Information
  • Frequently Asked Questions

    More Information

    Who can benefit from InterCommunity Addiction Services?

    • Persons who abuse drugs or alcohol and want to stop.
    • Persons who have become concerned about thier use of alcohol or drugs.
    • Persons who hope to live free of addiction to alcohol or other drugs.
    • Persons who are on probation because of their abuse of drugs or alcohol.
    • Persons who are involved with Department of Children and Families [DCF] because of the abuse of drugs or alcohol.

    When are InterCommunity Addiction Services open?

    • Residential and transportation services operate 24 hours a day, 365 days per year. The Detoxification Center can be reached at 860-569-5900.
    • Outpatient Services are available Monday through Thursday from 8:30am-8:00pm, and Fridays 8:30am-5pm.

    What help is available?

    • InterCommunity staff can help determine what type of drug or alcohol treatment is necessary.
    • InterCommunity staff can help to locate at least one, usually more than one, service that will help with the drug or alcohol problems that have been identified.
    • When services are needed quickly, InterCommunity staff can help you locate an appropriate treatment program and make certain that a bed or treatment slot is available.
    • For persons who are eligible, and in need of transportation, InterCommunity staff will arrange transportation to the treatment facility.
    • The services provided by InterCommunity are voluntary – every client who comes to InterCommunity comes by their own choice. Some persons who receive services at InterCommunity may be on probation or involved with DCF. Persons on probation or who are involved with DCF may have obligations with those agencies but InterCommunity never holds people in treatment who do not want to be in treatment.

    I don’t know for sure what kind of help my loved one needs for their drug and alcohol problems!

    • Call InterCommunity and talk to a staff member – this is probably the best way to decide what help is needed.
    • Tell the staff member the problems your loved one is experiencing.
    • Let the staff member know about any treatment experiences your loved one may have had in the past [if any].
    • Let the staff member know if your loved one has any current medical or emotional problems.
    • InterCommunity staff will help you find the kind of services that are needed.
    • In general, the most important initial determination to make when entering treatment is whether or not a person can stop using drugs or alcohol for at least several days [4-6] at a time. Persons who can not stop using drugs or alcohol for even a short period of time almost always need a detoxification service. Persons who are able to stop for several days [4-6] at a time often begin treatment by talking with an outpatient counselor.
    • Whether treatment starts in a detoxification program or an outpatient program the counselors can direct your loved one to additional services as the situation requires.

    What type of help is available at InterCommunity?

    • Inpatient Detoxification – this is a service where persons receive a medical assessment and the support to safely stop using alcohol, narcotics [for example: heroin, pain medications such as Oxycodone], often in combination with other addictive drugs [such as cocaine]. While an inpatient, persons also receive referrals for ongoing treatment to support their new way of living without drugs and alcohol. Three different medication protocols are available for opiate detoxification: buprenorphine, clonidine, and methadone.
    • Outpatient counseling – outpatient care involves a range of services designed to assess and treat drug and alcohol problems. Most outpatient services involve a combination of individual and small group treatment. Persons who go to outpatient services typically live in their own home or in a local supportive residential program if needed.
    • Residential Services – residential services range from supportive housing to intensive residential treatment programs. These programs are intended to provide rehabilitation services in settings away form the pressures and temptations that were part of using drugs or alcohol. Residential services often follow a period in a detoxification program.
    • Employment support services – eligible individuals in the Greater Hartford area can receive a variety of services designed to facilitate re-entry into the workforce. These services can include an assessment, referral, case management, preparation for work classes, and outreach to local employers.

    Do I need to be drunk to be admitted to the Detoxification Center?

    • No. Withdrawal from alcohol can be fatal. Roughly 15 % of individuals who go into withdrawal without medical supervision die. The symptoms of withdrawal may not appear until 24 hours after the last drink. The nurse at admission will determine, through your history, if admission to inpatient medical care is needed. We are not able to admit anyone who is intoxicated.  If you come to us intoxicated we may need to refer you to a hospital emergency department first, before we are able to treat you.

    What if I don’t live in North Central Connecticut?

    • Some InterCommunity services are not limited to persons who live in North Central Connecticut [such as detox services].
    • Persons, who live outside of North Central Connecticut and need services that can not be provided by InterCommunity, or where local services are more appropriate, will receive a referral to a local treatment program.
    • United Way of Connecticut operates InfoLine, a “211” referral and information system, that can help locate services.
    • The Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services [DMHAS] operates a listing of services throughout Connecticut.
    • SAMHSA [a federal Agency] operates a “service locator” service that includes services throughout all of Connecticut and other states.

    What if my loved one needs transportation to the treatment service?

    • For eligible persons an Access Line (1-800-563-4086) or InterCommunity staff (860-569-5900) can help arrange transportation for approved locations to the treatment program.
    • For persons not eligible for transportation, the Access Line staff will assist in providing directions and suggesting possible public transit options.

    I don’t know if my loved one can pay for treatment? What if I don’t think they can afford treatment?

    • InterCommunity has long served persons who are without health insurance and may lack any source of income. Many persons served  are already enrolled in HUSKY/Medicaid or are eligible for Medicaid and/or Medicare or comparable entitlements.
    • InterCommunity will assist clients in applying for any entitlements for which they may be eligible.
    • Some InterCommunity services are directly supported by grants from DMHAS – thus there may be no cost to the client.
    • If your loved one has personal health insurance that does not accept services provided by InterCommunity you will be assisted in locating providers that accept your insurance coverage.

    I am worried about privacy and confidentiality – what can you tell me?

    • Substance abuse treatment services are strictly private and confidential. This is required by state and federal law as well as the professional ethics of the providers.
    • All persons have the right to receive care in strict confidence.
    • If your loved one wishes to involve others in your care – such as family members – this can typically be arranged, but can only be done with the expressed written consent of the person being served.

    What do people do for help with their alcohol or drug problem after detox?

    • Some persons find their needs are best meet by going to a residential program after detox – to continue their rehabilitation and provide them more time in a safe and supportive environment away form the risks of drug and alcohol use.
    • Some persons are ready for outpatient support services after detox – services designed to teach and support the skills of maintaining a life free of alcohol or drugs.
    • Most persons include self help support services [usually Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous] as part of any ongoing care plan.

    How long do treatment programs last?

    • The length of time people spend in treatment is determined by several things: 1) the severity of the drug or alcohol problem, 2) the type of program providing the treatment, and 3) the willingness of the person to stay in treatment as long as is needed.
    • Detoxification services are relatively brief programs, usually lasting about 5 days.
    • Residential programs vary a lot in length depending upon the kind of program – some last 15-20 days while others may last several months and still others may last a year or more.
    • Outpatient programs are not generally designed to last a specific length of time. The length of stay is based on the person’s need and how stable they have become while in treatment.

    If my loved one goes to a treatment program who is there to help?

    • In drug or alcohol treatment programs, your loved one will most likely see a variety of types of clinical and supportive staff. It is common to spend the most time with a counselor who usually takes the main responsibility for treatment planning and arranging for services after discharge.
    • In detoxification programs, clients also spend time with a physician and members of the nursing staff who will be most concerned with the medical aspects of the detoxification experience.
    • Depending upon the type of program your loved one enters, they may also work with: a psychiatrist, vocational counselors, residential managers, or case managers.

    Are clients allowed to have visitors or make telephone calls if they go to a residential treatment program?

    • All residential programs allow for visitors although they often restrict who can visit and when they can visit. Restrictions are designed for the well-being of all the persons who are in the residential program.
    • If a client does not wish to have visitors they can talk with the program staff to see how they can help with their request.

    What if I am concerned about a friend or loved one – who is not ready to accept help?

    • Feel free to call InterCommunity and ask for a referral to our outpatient program or to an outpatient program in your area. Outpatient program staff members will talk to friends and family members about a loved one that is not ready to seek help.
    • Keep in mind that the family or friends of a substance abusing or dependent person often need help for themselves – due to hardships created by the substance abuse problems.
    • Many family and friends decide to attend Nar-anon or Alanon groups in order to gain guidance and support for themselves – both programs are free, anonymous and are run by family members who have had loved ones with addictions.
    • United Way of Connecticut operates InfoLine, a “211” telephone referral and information system, that can help locate services.
      The Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services [DMHAS] operates a listing of services throughout Connecticut.
      SAMSHA [a federal Agency] operates a “service locator” that includes services throughout all of Connecticut and other states.

    What if the drug problems are caused by using cocaine? I have heard I can’t go to a detox program for cocaine.

    • Many persons use cocaine and other drugs, such as alcohol or opiate drugs [such as heroin]. The use of the drugs other than cocaine may justify a referral to a detox program. InterCommunity staff can assist in determining if you should go to a detox program.
    • Some persons who use only cocaine can be treated in an outpatient program. InterCommunity staff can assist in making a referral to our outpatient program or to an outpatient program in your area.
    • Persons who only use cocaine may be eligible for treatment in a variety of InterCommunity residential programs [other than a detox program] in the North Central Region. The InterCommunity staff can assist in making a referral to the appropriate residential program.
  • Accreditation

    More Information
    InterCommunity Recovery Centers operates with licenses from and under contracts with the State of Connecticut Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services, and the Department of Public Health.

    InterCommunity’s Primary Care and Behavioral Health Divisions have been accredited by the Joint Commission.